gold
Ethiopia’s Tiki Gelana won gold in the women’s
marathon
in an Olympic
record
time of
two
hours, 23 minutes and seven seconds.
Kenya’s Priscah Jeptoo claimed silver and Tatyana Petrova, of Russia, came third for bronze.
Great Britain’s Mara Yamauchi, 38, pulled out just before the 10km mark.
She said: “I had a heel bruise that I thought I was able to run on. I was confident I could give it a go, but on the second corner it started hurting.”
Yamauchi was sixth in the 20008 Beijing Olympic marathon but has since struggled with injury.
She added: “I did my best and it is not good to drop out in
your home
Games.
“I didn’t want my Olympic journey to end like this. I thought about withdrawing beforehand and had much higher hopes. Sadly it wasn’t to be.”
———-
Ethiopian Sets Olympic Record in Women’s Marathon
The New York Times
LONDON
— Surging into the lead in the last mile and a half and running the second half of the race more than three minutes faster than the first, Tiki Gelana of Ethiopia won the women’s Olympic marathon on Sunday in 2 hours 23 minutes 7 seconds, a record for the Summer Games.
Priscah Jeptoo of Kenya took second in 2:23:12 on a cool, rainy day on a loop course that passed many of London’s iconic landmarks. Tatyana Petrova Arkhipova of Russia made a late charge and finished third in a personal best of 2:23:29. She had finished fourth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at the 2008 Beijing Games.
The prerace favorite, Mary Keitany of Kenya, who won the London Marathon in April, could not hold the pace at the end and finished fourth in 2:23:56. (Jeptoo said Keitany had cramps in her back.) Surprisingly, a Kenyan woman still has not won an Olympic marathon since the event was first held in 1984.
Meanwhile, Kenya’s East African rival, Ethiopia, has now twice won the Olympic marathon. Fatuma Roba took first at the 1996 Atlanta Games. At the London Games, Ethiopia has won both women’s distance events, with Tirunesh Dibaba taking gold in the 10,000.
Click here to read more

Return to “Ethio Sport .... ኢትዮ ስፖርት”